Dan Shawbel has developed a model of eight prime areas of activity within the realm of personal branding:
- Social media – your brand’s communication channel with the world
- Entrepreneurship – your career is your business, who else will manage it for you?
- Human resources – as potential consumers of your services this is your target market
- Public relations – you can get your message across using new and old media
- Self-marketing – primes you with the raw material for any conversations
- Forming relationships – networking allows you to transact with people who may be interested in your brand
- Search engine optimization – improving your page rank through publishing techniques that can often complement your content
Not only does <a href=http://personalbrandingblog.wordpress.com/2007/12/10/personal-branding-octopus-model-of-relevancy/>Dan’s article</a> explain this more clearly than my clumsy paraphrasing, but it also comes with a free Octopus.